Kilgour steps down as Chiefs head coach


For the first time in a decade, someone different will be guiding the Six Nations Pro-Fit Chiefs behind the bench.
“It’s with mixed emotions I announce that coach Rich Kilgour has stepped down as the head coach of the Six Nations Chiefs,” president and general manager Duane Jacobs said."He brought continuity, stability and restored a winning culture to our franchise."
During his tenure as head coach, Kilgour guided the Chiefs to six Major Series Lacrosse finals, three of which resulted in championships won, to go along with three Mann Cups.
“I’ve been doing it for nine years,” Kilgour said. “I’ve coached a lot of the same guys during that time and I think they’ve heard everything that I could say.
“All good things come to an end,” he said. “I appreciate everything the Chiefs, Dewey, and Kenny Hill have done for me and this team. I loved it, and that’s why I did it for so long.”
He said with a new generation of players coming through the Six Nations pipeline, it just made sense to pass the torch, sort to speak.
As a Chiefs player, Kilgour was also a part of the team’s three-straight Mann Cups in the 1990s. Needless to say, Kilgour is a winner and the Chiefs all-time leader in wins behind the bench.
“For me it’s hard to see Rich go,” Jacobs said. “He is such a great friend, teammate and a guy I have the upmost faith in and trust. We were always on the same page and when I met with Rich before the holidays, I think we both agreed it is time for a change and as always, he has put our team first.”
Though he won’t be behind the bench, Kilgour said that fans and players will still see him around the Iroquois Lacrosse Arena.
“I’ll be hanging around the rink still, just in a different capacity,” Kilgour said. “The Chiefs are a big part of my life and if I can help them in any way, I will. This time it will be more behind the scenes.”
Looking back at his tenure behind the Chiefs bench, there have been many memories. He said the first of three Mann Cups in four years, in 2013, stood out for him.
“Rich was what we needed when we needed,” Cody Jamieson said. “He helped us get over the hump when we couldn’t do it and kept us motivated to win multiple Mann Cups. Rich was a legend player for the Chiefs, and he has cemented himself as a Chiefs coach legend.”
Dan Coates agrees.
“Rich is the ultimate leader and embodied everything it meant to be a part of the Chiefs organization,” Coates said. “He led us to three Mann Cup championships and competing for the Ontario final every summer. He had the utmost respect from his players and challenged us to be the best. Guys would run through a wall for him. We’re going to miss Richie behind the bench.”
Jacobs said the search for Kilgour’s replacement has begun, and added that the team is going to take its time to find the right person.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts